Nowadays coordinated and every time more complex terrorist attacks are shocking the world. Due to the progressive
rely of industrial sector and many critical infrastructures (CI) (e.g. EU ports) in ICT systems, the impact of a coordinated physical attack, a deliberate disruption of critical automation systems or even a combined scenario including both kind of attacks, could have disastrous consequences for the European Member States’ regions and social wellbeing in general.
(1) A dynamic risk assessment methodology for the protection of crowds during mass gatherings centred on human factors in order to effectively produce policies and deploy adequate solutions.
Taking into account this fact and this real threat on EU ports as one of the main CI in Europe, SAURON project proposes the holistic situation awareness concept as an integrated, scalable and yet installation-specific solution for protecting EU ports and its surroundings. This solution combines the more advanced physical SA features with the newest techniques in prevention, detection and mitigation of cyber-threats, including the synthetic cyber space understanding through the use of new visualization techniques (immersive interfaces, cyber 3D models and so on).
In addition, a Hybrid Situation Awareness (HSA) application capable of determine the potential consequences of any threat will show the potential cascading effect of a detected threat in the two different domains (physical and cyber).
On the other hand, through SAURON approach the public in the surroundings and the rescue/security teams will be able to be informed on any potential event/situation that could put in risk their integrity.
Thus, SAURON proposes as main objective to ensure an adequate level of both physical and cyber protection for the EU ports and limiting, as far as possible, the detrimental effects for the society and citizens of a combined attack (physical & cyber) to an EU port.
Reducing the vulnerabilities of EU ports, as one of the main European critical infrastructures and increasing their systemic resilience in the face of a physical, cyber or combined threat will be also part of the SAURON main objective.
COORDINATOR: Fundación ValenciaPort
- Fundacion De La Comunidad Valenciana Para La Investigacion, Promociony Estudios Comerciales De Valenciaport
- Universitat Politecnica De Valencia
- S2 Grupo De Innovacion En Procesos Organizativos Sl
- University Of Piraeus Research Center
- Ait Austrian Institute Of Technology Gmbh
- Piraeus Port Authority Sa
- Thales Sa
- Safran Identity & Security
- Innovasec Ltd
- Autorita Portuale Livorno
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Etra Investigacion Y Desarrollo
- Noatum Ports Valenciana, S.A.U.
- Luka Koper, Port And Logistic System
KEY WORDS: Protection of citizens (goods and people), Protection of areas and infrastructures, Ports Security, Hybrid Situation Awareness, Cyber Situation Awareness, Physical Situation Awareness.