SAFETY4RAILS– Data-Based analysis for safety and security protection for detection, prevention, mitigation and response in trans-modal metro and railway networks.
PROGRAMME: EU H2020
Railways and Metros are safe, efficient, reliable and environmentally friendly mass carriers, and they are becoming even more important means of transportation given the need to address climate change. However, being such critical infrastructures turns metro and railway operators as well as related intermodal transport operators into attractive targets for cyber and/or physical attacks.
The SAFETY4RAILS project delivers methods and systems to increase the safety and recovery of track-based inter-city railway and intra-city metro transportation. It addresses both cyber-only attacks (such as WannaCry infections), physical-only attacks (such as the Madrid commuter trains bombing in 2014) and combined cyber-physical attacks, which are amongst the emerging threat scenarios given the increasing IoT infrastructure integration. SAFETY4RAILS concentrates on rush hour rail transport scenarios where many passengers are using metros and railways to commute to work or attend mass events (e.g. large multi-venue sporting events such as the Olympics).
When an incident occurs during peak times, metro and railway operators have to consider many aspects to ensure passenger safety and security, e.g. carry out threat analysis, maintain situation awareness, establish crisis communication and response, and ensure that mitigation steps are taken and communicated to travellers and other users.
SAFETY4RAILS will improve the handling of such events through a holistic approach. It will analyse the cyber-physical resilience of metro and railway systems and deliver mitigation strategies for an efficient response, and, in order to remain secure given ever-changing novel emerging risks, it will facilitate continuous adaptation of the SAFETY4RAILS solution.
COORDINATOR: FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V. (FRAUNHOFER) – Germany
- FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V. (FRAUNHOFER) DE
- UNION INTERNATIONALE DES CHEMINS DE FER (UIC) FR
- METRO DE MADRID SA (MDM) ES
- ANKARA ELEKTRIK, HAVAGAZI VE OTOBUSISLETME MUESSESESITRAFIKVERKET (TRV) TU
- RETE FERROVIARIA ITALIANA SpA (RFI) IT
- LEONARDO SPA (LDO) IT
- COMPAGNIE EUROPEENE D’INTELLIGENCE STRATEGIQUE (CEIS) BE
- STAM SRL (STAM) IT
- IC INFORMATION COMPANY AG (IC) SW
- ROYAL MELBOURNE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY SPAIN SL (RMIT) ES
- THE UNIVERSITY OF READING (UREAD) UK
- ETRA INVESTIGACIÓN Y DESARROLLO SA (ETRA) ES
- RINA CONSULTING SPA (RINA-C) IT
- NATIONAL CENTER FOR SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH “DEMOKRITOS” (NCSRD) EL
- WINGS ICT SOLUTIONS INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES IKE (WINGS) EL
- UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE (UNEW) UK
- EUROPEAN ORGANISATION FOR SECURITY SCRL (EOS) BE
- INNOVA INTEGRA LIMITED (INNO) UK
- LAUREA-AMMATTIKORKEAKOULU OY (LAU) FI
- CYBER SERVICES ZARTKORUEN MUKODO RESZVENYTARSASAG (CS) HU
- ERGUNLER INSAAT PETROL URUNLERI OTOMOTIV TEKSTIL MADENCILIK SU URUNLER SANAYI VE TICARET (ERARGE) TU
- M T R S 3 SOLUTIONS AND SERVICES (MTRS) IL
- INTRACOM SA TELECOM SOLUTIONS (ICOM) EL
- UNIVERSIDAD MIGUEL HERNANDEZ DE ELCHE (UMH) ES
- ALPHA-CYBER SRL (AC) IT
- TREE TECHNOLOGY SA (TREE) ES
- PRORAIL BV (PRO) NL
- ELBIT SYSTEMS LAND AND C4I LTD (ELBIT) IL
- COMUNE DI MILANO (CdM) IT
KEY WORDS: Critical infrastructure, emergency systems, security, safety engineering, Risks and vulnerabilities assessment, Artificial Intelligence & Decision support, Risks assessment, modelling and impact reduction, Simulation tools and technologies, Risk reduction.