Climate change and air and noise pollution are of major concern in Europe and worldwide, and public transport is at the core of efforts for achieving sustainable mobility and improving the environmental footprint of urban transport. UITP acknowledges that BRT is one of the biggest innovations the bus domain has ever seen because of the positive transformative effects on cities in terms of reduction of congestion and air pollution.
Bringing together 48 partners from across the EU and beyond, eBRT2030 aims to demonstrate the applicability of a new generation of eBRT systems in different urban contexts with innovative solutions that are economically viable and enhanced with new automation and connectivity functionalities. Ultimately, the main objective is to drastically reduce emissions, pollutants and congestion, supporting the transition towards zero emission sustainable transport across Europe.
eBRT2030 works closely together with end-users to understand how the developed eBRT services can be improved to support the needs of citizens. Following this, the project heavily focusses on advancing passenger experience, improving the fleet management (including smart charging using renewable energy sources) and enhancing mobility access of underserved areas, or regions with increased transportation needs.
eBRT2030 solutions are tested in 7 real-life demos in Europe and beyond (Barcelona, Eindhoven-North Brabant, Athens, Amsterdam, Rimini, Prague, and Bogota), bringing around the table public transport operators, bus manufacturers, technology providers and academia. An important focus of the project is translate and apply eBRT solutions not only in Europe, but also to tackle challenges on pollution and emissions in developing countries of Africa and Latin-American.
eBRT2030 has a budget of €30.4 million (co-financed by the EU under the Horizon Europe programme). With a duration of 48 months and a consortium made up of 48 partners, under the coordination of UITP, the project is validated in seven large-scale demonstrators, in the Netherlands, Spain, Greece, the Czech Republic, Italy and Colombia.
COORDINATOR: UITP (The International Association of Public Transport).
- UNION INTERNATIONALE DES TRANSPORTS PUBLICS (UITP)
- VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT BRUSSEL (VUB)
- AVL LIST GMBH (AVL)
- FUNDACION TECNALIA RESEARCH & INNOVATION (TEC)
- IDIADA AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY SA (IDI)
- STICHTING CENEX NEDERLAND (CENEX)
- EREVNITIKO PANEPISTILIAKO INSTITOUTO SYSTIMATION EPIKOINONIAS KAI YPOLOGISTON-EMP (ICCS)
- TEKNOLOGIAN TUTKIMUSKESKUS VTT OY (VTT)
- Volvo Bus Corporation (VBC)
- IVECO FRANCE SA (IVECO)
- TRANSPORTS DE BARCELONA SA (TMB)
- IRIZAR E-MOBILITY SL (IRIZAR)
- FACTUAL CONSULTING SL (FACTUAL)
- Consorci Centre de Recerca Matematica (CRM)
- UNIVERSITAT POLITECNICA DE CATALUNYA (UPC)
- ARRIVA PERSONENVERVOER NEDERLAND BV (ARRIVA)
- CONNEXXION OPENBAAR VERVOER NV (CONNEXXION)
- EBUSCO B.V. (EBUSCO)
- HELIOX BV (HELIOX)
- DOPRAVNI PODNIK HL.M. PRAHY AS (DPP)
- SKODA ELECTRIC AS (SELC)
- ELEKTROLINE AS (Elektroline)
- UNIVERZITA PARDUBICE (UPCE)
- START ROMAGNA SPA (START)
- ALMA MATER STUDIORUM – UNIVERSITA DI BOLOGNA (UNIBO)
- ENEL X SRL (ENEL X)
- ETHNICON METSOVION POLYTECHNION (NTUA)
- ORGANISMOS ASTIKON SYGKOINONION ATHINON AE (OASA)
- TEMSA SKODA SABANCI ULASIM ARACLARIANONIM SIRKETI (TEMSA)
- ETRA INVESTIGACION Y DESARROLLO SA (ETRA)
- SCANIA CV AB (SCANIA)
- POLIS – PROMOTION OF OPERATIONAL LINKS WITH INTEGRATED SERVICES, ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONALE (POLIS)
- EUROPEAN ROAD TRANSPORT TELEMATICS IMPLEMENTATION COORDINATION ORGANISATION – INTELLIGENT TRANSPORT SYSTEMS & SERVICES EUROPE (ERTICO)
- RINA CONSULTING SPA (RINA-C)
- ETHNIKO KENTRO EREVNAS KAI TECHNOLOGIKIS ANAPTYXIS (CERTH)
- RUPPRECHT CONSULT-FORSCHUNG & BERATUNG GMBH (RC)
- URBAN ELECTRIC MOBILITY INITIATIVE (UEMI) GGMBH (UEMI)
- STADTWERKE MUENCHEN GMBH (SWM)
- FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FORDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG EV (Fraunhofer)
- SYSTRA SA (SYSTRA)
- SOCIETE D’ECONOMIE MIXTE DES TRANSPORTS EN COMMUN DE L’AGGLOMERATION NANTAISE (SEMITAN) (SEMITAN)
- TRIVECTOR TRAFFIC AB (TRIV)
- LUNDS UNIVERSITET (K2)
- ASSTRA – ASSOCIAZIONE TRASPORTI (ASSTRA)
- ALSTOM TRANSPORT SA (ATSA)
- Operadora Distrital de Transporte (ODT)
- IETT (IETT)
- TROLLEYMOTION – VEREIN ZUR FORDERUNG MODERNER TROLLEYBUSSYSTEME (TM)
KEY WORDS: urban transport, transport engineering, electromobility, Bus Rapid Transit, BRT, eBRT, smart charging.