R2D2 strategic goal is to improve the resilience and reliability of Electrical Power and Energy Systems (EPES) against a growing number of vulnerabilities affecting such critical infrastructure. The main idea behind the project is to dynamically and mutually manage the different criticalities that may threaten EPES security, such as operational faults, natural events, extreme weather phenomena, cybersecurity, man-made hazards, etc. This is done through the development and deployment of four Products dedicated to the prevention, protection, and restoration of EPES in two different independent, but complementary scenarios in the energy value chain – from regional coordination between TSOs, to the privacy of LV customers.
The four Products of R2D2, namely: P1 – “Multi-risk assessment framework for power system”, P2 – “Resilience suite for TSO & DSO”, P3: “Prevention Systems For Energy Infrastructures Security” and P4: “Enhanced Assets Maintenance And Management Toolkit” have been conceived to be complementary and to address specific aspects of EPES resiliency and reliability.
Thanks to smart end-to-end monitoring and control of power networks through the R2D2 Products, EPES can benefit an overall system cost reduction coming from fewer power losses (technical and non-technical), lower number and duration of outages, and lower investment in disaster recovery.
R2D2 has a budget of 8M€ (co-financed by the EU under the Horizon Europe program). With a duration of 36 months and a consortium made up of 17 partners, under the coordination of ETRA I + D, the project is validated in 4 large-scale demonstrators, in Spain, Serbia, Slovenia and Greece.
COORDINATOR: ETRA INVESTIGACIÓN Y DESARROLLO, S.A.
- S2 GRUPO DE INNOVACION EN PROCESOS ORGANIZATIVOS SLU, Spain,
- ELPROS ELEKTRONSKI IN PROGRAMSKI SISTEMI DOO, Slovenia,
- GUARDTIME OU, Estonia
- CYBER NOESIS IKE, Greece
- INSTITUTE OF COMMUNICATION AND COMPUTER SYSTEMS, Greece
- CYRIL AND METHODIUS UNIVERSITY IN SKOPJE, North Macedonia,
- CENTAR ZA KOORDINACIJU SIGURNOSTI SCC DOO BEOGRAD-VOZDOVAC – SECURITY COORDINATION CENTRE SCC LTD BELGRADE, Serbia
- EMS SERVICES DOO, Serbia,
- DIACHEIRISTIS ELLINIKOU DIKTYOU DIANOMIS ELEKTRIKIS ENERGEIAS AE Greece,
- ELEKTRO LJUBLJANA, PODJETJE ZA DISTRIBUCIJO ELEKTRIČNE ENERGIJE, D.D., Slovenia,
- ELEKTRO LJUBLJANA OVE, INZENIRING SPODROČJA OBNOVLJIVIH VIROV ENERGIJE, D.O.O., Slovenia,
- CNET CENTRE FOR NEW ENERGY TECHNOLOGIES SA, Portugal,
- EDP ESPAÑA, S.A.U., [EDP SPAIN], with legal address: Plaza De La Gesta 2, Oviedo, Spain.
- INSTITUT MIHAJLO PUPIN, Serbia,
- UNIVERSITY OF CYPRUS Cyprus
- RTE INTERNATIONAL, France,
- IMPERIAL COLLEGE OF SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY AND MEDICINE, UK
KEY WORDS: Reliability, Resilience, Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Distribution, Transmission, Cyber-security, Predictive Maintenance, Drones.